Monday, September 5, 2011

It's a bird!!! It's a plane!! It's a . . .

It was definitely a crazy week at school! On Thursday, a teacher and I were standing in the hall talking while my students were at recess. Something flew down the hallway and she said "Is that a bird?" Quickly, I screamed "It's a bat!!!" and I ran in my room and shut the door! I peeked out when I knew it flew to the other end of the building. My school is shaped like an E with me being in the lower line. The bat kept flying through the "stick of the E" so I could see it going back and forth. The secretary announced for teachers to close their doors and keep students in the classroom. In the meantime, my teammates were in the hallway trying to catch the bat. NOT ME! A couple of times, it flew down my hallway and I would shut the door and avoid it! Finally, the janitor came out of hiding (also known as the break room) and took care of the bat.

Now this is not the first time a rodent has been in the old building. My first year there, I was one of the first teachers at school in the morning. A male teacher was in my room talking to me and we walked into the hallway when a bat swooped down towards our heads. He screamed more like a girl than I did! :) We slammed my classroom door shut. Then we wanted to know if it was still out there so we started going to his room when it swooped at our heads again. He ran into his classroom and slammed the door... in my face!!! Luckily no one was in the building during this time or did not watch the security cameras because I'm sure it would have been a comical scene. We eventually ran to the doors and opened them and the bat flew out.

A couple of years later, a boy came out of the bathroom in the early morning and said there were mice in there. A teacher found 4 baby mice and disposed of them in the woods. During one of my blocks, I was hanging up work in the hallway and I looked down and saw a mouse scurrying by. I was not as scared as I am with the bats! Ahhhhhh!!!

*******************************

Friday was one of the hottest days I can remember during a school year. It was in the 90s and the heat index was well into the 100s. The majority of the classrooms do not have air. Fans were on high and the lights were off. Around 1:20, the fans suddenly shut off. Several teachers went into the hallway to find parts of the school lost power. I'm sure it was due to the large number of fans being used because of the heat. We had to go the remainder of the day with NO fans. I could not wait to come home and take a shower. I felt disgusting!

******************************
I just joined Pinterest. Through all of my stalking reading blogs, I have seen it is a popular site with bloggers and teachers. I'm still trying to understand it. It doesn't really make sense to me but I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment