Saturday, September 24, 2011

Reading Centers

It has been such a stressful couple of weeks. I feel so overwhelmed with everything! I try to be the best teacher possible but sometimes it takes its toll on me. I have a fabulous group of kids this year and I am very happy with them. It's just the extras that go along with teaching.

Compare and Contrast Lesson

This past week, we did a compare and contrast lesson. First I had the students compare the other reading teacher and myself. This was a Venn-Diagram from one of my classes.
Yes, it does say we are both bipolar! I definitely had to laugh about this! What 10-11 year old knows what bipolar means? The class had a lot of fun with this but their favorite part was yet to come. I had made no bake and sugar cookies. Students got into pairs and were given a graphic organizer. They also got each of the cookies and were able to compare and contrast them. They were so creative. Some were smelling and others were listening to see if their cookie made any sound. It was a good lesson. And what kid doesn't love cookies?!

Working with Centers

I am a very OCD type of person. I like things done my way and if they aren't, I start to freak out and get frantic just thinking about it. I have already had to go outside of my comfort zone this year and do some things I would not normally do and I've been ok with it. I met with the principal several times this past week as we have tried to determine what is lacking in reading. Our scores have not been where they should be the past few years. As I said earlier, I put everything I possibly can into my teaching so this is extemely frustrating to me. We came up with several possibilities. He would like me to do center work so I can actually work with just a couple of kids at a time. This scares me. First, I do not feel like it is teaching. I feel like I'm throwing my students to the wolves to fend for themselves. Secondly, this sounds like a ton of work that I will need to do on top of what I am already doing. Maybe that is selfish but it's just the initial scare.

After coming home and letting some tears flow, I thought about what I would do and then I did what I always do. I went to the internet to do some research. I am now feeling better about the thought of having centers in my classroom. But I would love some ideas!!! If anyone has any advice, I would happy to hear it. It would make me feel much better! :)

It's hard to believe we are already halfway through the first nine weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment